Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Lest we forget, again again

I found this photo getting all scratched and fading, so thought best to get it scanned before it goes away forever. 13th March 1989, Baltimore Oriole at Roch, a long way down in Wales. I remember we's spent all day on Saturday (12th) showing an American birder (argh!, forgotten his name) round Norfolk etc. to tick off Willow Tits and other burdies. Then as Satan's way of saying thank you for being so good, we were rewarded with a Baltimore Oriole (it was on a taxonomic holiday as Northern Oriole in those days) at Roch. So it was back in the car and AWAY!

Baltimore Oriole (photo by Pete Wheeler)

Mind, it didn't show straight away. There was an hour wait, which wasn't pleasant.

I immortalised it with an inaccurate sketch that I coloured in on the way home.

I wish I could remember that American birder's name, cos although he didn't come all the way across for the Oriole, he did twitch Golden-winged Warbler a month earlier, on account of them not being particularly easy to see back home. Would there have been a revolution if that bird had gone in Category D?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
... where it belongs!!!!! :-O :-) :-)))) joke

2 comments:

Tony Morris said...

why should it?

Martin said...

I'm not really suggesting it. :-)