Sunday, May 20, 2007

Thursday 17th and Saturday 20th May

Irrelevancy lies before me this evening, like a man walking into his garden for the first time after a long illness, like Godzooki and Scrappy Doo fighting to the death for the honour of being the most hated cartoon character of them all.

Thursday:
Beautiful Sedge Warbler displays Thursday morning, and two Willow Warblers checking out nest sites in the gorse next to the Elsick Burn. I'm seeing Roe Deer more or less daily j
ust now, and today was no different with one a point blank range in the bushes by the track. Caught a Song Thrush carrying food to a nest near the white houses by the beach.

A single Great Skua went north in 20 min looking, and 7 Manx Shearwaters, flying close to shore so nearly slipped under the radar. 45 Northern Gannets north, and a single Arctic Tern fishing among a feeding flock of Black-legged Kittiwakes about 500 m off the cliffs. Also 3 spp auks and several Northen Fulmars.


Saturday:
Found this on the track - a dead European Robin, juvvy. I love the way thing
s work in the Real World - no apologies, no excuses, no explanations, no second chances. I couldn't have designed it better myself. Sorry baby Robin, you were just too shit for this life.

Had a leisurely attempt at photographing a Roe Deer on the other side of the burn. Disappointed to ifnd out after I had the phone cam set on lo-res, so have suffered a bit. These are the best...

...unfortunately. Not last one - I call it 'Deer's arse with ?Sedge Warbler blur'.

Offshore... this was funny. I saw 35 Northern Gannets heading south, but the way the light was this morning shining through their wings, they looked weird. Then another flock of 10 came through, and I was thinking that this time it was making them look like shelducks or something then I realised that this was a flock of 10 Common Shelducks. A scarce migrant here. Wake up Martin. 1 Arctic Skua went north, at some lick.

No comments: